Chapter 1 - Divine Principle

I understand that most people have been taught, and therefore believe, that faith is defined in Hebrews 11:1: “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” I do not wish to argue with that. Some people teach it that way and it works for them, but it does not work for me. I need a definition that I can put anywhere I see the word faith and get a clearer understanding of what faith is. I believe that Hebrews 11:1 provides the anatomy of faith; it tells us the substance of which faith is made. But when I read, “Daughter, they faith has made thee whole,” I cannot replace the word faith with that definition and get an understanding of faith – “Daughter, [the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen] has made thee whole.” That definition of faith does not tell me what faith is; it does not tell me what made the daughter whole. James chapter 2 gives me a working definition. If we insert the words conviction or persuasion everywhere we read the word faith, and insert the words corresponding action everywhere we read the word works, and clearly understand what it means, then the definition of faith comes alive.

The majority of Christians, when they speak of faith, are saying, “I believe.” What they mean is they believe something, or are convinced or persuaded about it, but they never add the corresponding action to their conviction or persuasion that causes it to become Bible Faith. Understand this, child of God: When God says, “The just shall live by faith,” He is telling you the just shall live by this kind of faith – conviction or persuasion plus corresponding action. God is saying, “Everywhere I call upon you to have faith, or everywhere I call upon you to walk by faith, I am calling upon you to walk by living faith because that is the only definition of faith that My Word gives you. My Word does not acknowledge or accept the other kind as faith. I know that you church told you it was, but My Word did not tell you it was.”

Continuing in James 2, beginning with verse 18 and replacing the words faith and works with our working definition gives us an even clearer understanding of what God means when he says faith.

But someone will say, “You have [conviction or persuasion] and I have [corresponding actions].” Show me your [conviction or persuasion] without your [corresponding actions], and I will show you my [conviction or persuasion] by my [corresponding action]. You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe – and tremble! But do you want to know, O foolish man, that [conviction or persuasion] without [corresponding actions] is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by [corresponding actions]…? (James 2:18-21)

The Bible says Abraham was justified – or made right with God – just by what he believed, bur rather when his actions correspond to what he believed. “Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar?” (James 2:21) When Abraham offered Isaac on the altar, his conviction or persuasion and corresponding action worked together. “Do you see that faith [conviction or persuasion] was working together with his works [corresponding action], and by works [corresponding action] faith [conviction or persuasion] was made perfect?” (James 2:22, emphasis added) The word perfect means “mature, complete or finished.” Because of his corresponding action, his conviction or persuasion was made perfect. In other words, Abraham’s corresponding action worked together with his belief [conviction or persuasion] to make his faith complete. “And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, ‘Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness’” (James 2:23). In other words, the Scripture was fulfilled when Abraham’s conviction or persuasion met up with his corresponding action.

This is what the Bible means when it instructs us to “believe.” How many of you want God to finish the promise He made you? For those of you who do, the formula is to get you conviction or persuasion working together with your corresponding action.

Because the Scripture that says “Abraham believed God” (James 2:23) was not fulfilled until Abraham’s conviction or persuasion met up with his corresponding action, I know it is not enough to simply be convicted or persuaded. This tells me that there must be a corresponding action with my conviction. Therefore, to say, “I believe God,” is not enough. My belief alone is not living faith.

Notes to Remember

"Greek Translations: Pistis: Conviction or Persuasion. Ergon: Corresponding action."

"Divine Principle: Living Faith = Conviction or Persuasion + Corresponding action = Bible Faith."